Pike Place MarketFront: A 40-Year Vision to Complete the Market Historic District
PROJECT COMPLETION MAY 2017. GRAND OPENING DATE: JUNE 29, 2017
You're invited! Celebrate the MarketFront Grand Opening on Thursday, June 29, 2017. The Market will celebrate the completion of the Market Historic District with performances by local musicians, bites from MarketFront vendors and activities to help Market-goers explore the expansion, as well as the entire Market historic district.
For the first time in 40 years, Pike Place Market is growing with the “MarketFront.” A site built for Market producers in the early 20th century, the expansion reclaims the site for farmers and producers, and will provide a dynamic public plaza with views of Puget Sound and Olympic Mountains, table space for farmers, craftspeople and artisan purveyors, retail space, low-income housing, a neighborhood center and parking.
The $74 million MarketFront project realizes a long-held vision of Market advocates, who won historic designation for the 9-acre neighborhood in 1971. The MarketFront will complete the historic district after more than 40 years of study and planning. Its design and use were created in accordance of Market historic district guidelines and the Pike Place Market charter.
- 30,000 square feet of open public space encompassing a public plaza and viewing deck
- 47 new rooftop day stalls for farmers and artists; all weather canopy provides year-round use
- 12,000 square feet of commercial and retail space for artisan purveyors
- 40 new units of low-income, senior housing including seven live/work units
- A Neighborhood Center with expanded social services
- 300 covered parking spaces; 33 bicycle spaces
- Multiple public art installations